Writer: JONATHAN CLUETT, MD | Outlet: Very Well Health
This article was originally written for https://www.verywellhealth.com/stretching-exercises-for-plantar-fasciitis-2549946
Plantar fasciitis is a painful foot condition that affects many people. Typical symptoms of plantar fasciitis include:
- Pain directly under the heel of the foot
- Symptoms are worse the first steps in the morning
- Difficulty walking long distances because of discomfort
Treatment of plantar fasciitis is focused on relieving inflammation and stretching the tight tissues along the arch of the foot. Here is a simple stretching routine that will alleviate the symptoms of plantar fasciitis in most patients.
The easiest way to do the calf stretch is by standing about 1 to 2 feet from a wall.
- Lean against the wall with your arms outstretched.
- Place one foot on the ground in the line extending down from your shoulders, and one foot behind your body.
- Keep your back foot flat on the ground and feel a stretch in the back of your heel (the Achilles tendon).
- Hold the stretch for a count of 10, and repeat. Do both sides.
To accentuate this stretch, point your back knee down towards the ground while keeping the foot flat on the floor.